🦃 Christmas can be a tricking time of year when it comes to achieving your desired health & fitness goals.
3 INGREDiENT CHRiSTMAS CAKE
- 1kg mixed dried fruit
- 2½ cups (600ml) milk or almond milk
- 2¾ cups gluten-free self-raising flour
OPTIONAL dairy-free vanilla frosting
- 2 tsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3-4 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp cashews, soaked
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil
METHOD FOR THE CAKE
Place dried fruit in a bowl, cover with milk and leave to soak overnight in the fridge.
The next day, preheat oven to 160°C and line a medium (23cm diameter) springform cake tin with baking paper.
Stir flour into fruit mixture until evenly combined and smooth into prepared tin. Bake until it is risen, set and golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean (check after about 1¼ hours and return to oven for a little longer if needed). Remove from oven. Cool in the tin before turning out. Stored in an airtight container, it will keep for 3-4 weeks.
Just before serving, dust with , using paper doily cut-outs or snowflake stencils to create festive patterns.
FOR THE FROSTING
- In a small blender or food processor, blend together all the ingredients for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a container with a lid and place in fridge to set for at least 3 hours.
- Then spread onto the Christmas cake.
CALORIES PER CAKE = 281
PROTEIN 0.7g per cake
CARBS 65.7g per cake
FAT 1.4g per cake
Let’s compare this to the everyday Christmas cake.
Calories = 237 PER SLICE
FAT 8.1g per slice
CARBS 37.5 g per slice
PRO 3.7g per slice
I think the numbers speak louder than words in this case.
SESAME SEED LAVOSH
- 1 cup gluten-free plain flour
- ⅓ cup wholemeal gluten-free flour
- 2 tbsp each black and white sesame seeds or 4 tbsp just one kind
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ cup water
- extra virgin olive oil
- flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 165˚C and line an oven tray with baking paper. In a mixing bowl stir together the flours, sesame seeds, oregano and salt. Mix the oils and water together and add to the dry ingredients, stirring to form a soft, pliable dough.
- Divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll each out on a lightly floured board as thinly as possible. Each piece of dough should create a rectangle about 34 x 16cm. Cut each rectangle into strips measuring about 4 x 17cm and roll again. They need to be practically see-through.
- Carefully transfer strips to a baking tray, brush lightly with oil and sprinkle with flaky salt. Bake until crisp and pale golden – about 15-18 minutes. Allow to cool fully then store in an airtight container.
CALORIES = 32 for total crackers
Let’s compare this to an Arnott’s Jatz box of crackers.
CALORIES = 1165 per box
After looking at the difference between the last two recipes and the store brought or original calorie content table can you start to understand how easy it is to eat in a calorie surplus over the festive season?
CHRISTMAS CHEER 🍹
As you are well aware alcohol can be the silent killer when it comes to empty calories. So when it comes to choosing a refreshing beverage always look for something lower in calories and very little ingredients.
KOMBUCHA LEMON PIMPED PIMMS
- 330ml Remedy Kombucha Ginger Lemon
- 110ml Pimm’s
- Fresh fruit, cucumber and fresh mint
Combine all ingredients in a jug and give it a good stir. Pour into two glasses and serve!
CALORIES PER SERVE = 121
Let’s compare this recipe with a standard Mojito.
CALORIES PER SERVE = 221
CARBS 38.8g 😱