Bounce into a healthier easter break this year with GF + DF hot cross buns. A recipe that won’t make you bloat or uncomfortable when eating one (or maybe two!)
Makes 12 buns
- 240 g ( 8 1/2 oz / 2 cups) buckwheat flour
- 200 g or 2 cups almond meal
- 3 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal
- 3 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 125 ml or 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 250 ml or 1 cup almond milk or coconut milk
- 60 ml or ¼ cup organic maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 250 g blueberries (fresh or frozen) or raisins if you want to go traditional
- Melted dark chocolate for piping crosses (we like to use ‘sweet william’ found in coles)
- PREHEAT your oven to 160°C fan forced (320°F).
- COMBINE buckwheat flour, almond meal, cinnamon, flaxseed and baking powder in a bowl.
- COMBINE olive oil, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla into a separate bowl.
- ADD the wet ingredients to the flour mix.
- MIX through gently until a sticky dough forms. What will happen is that the dough will thicken and absorb all the moisture from the almond milk as it rests. I normally like to rest my dough for 5 – 10 minutes before adding blueberries.
- ADD blueberries and give the dough one more brief mix – it should be lovely and sticky with the blueberries distributed throughout. Now remember you can use both fresh or frozen blueberries to make these buns.
- SCOOP out into rounds using an ice cream scoop onto a lined baking tray.
- BRUSH the top with a little extra almond milk.
- BAKE for 35 – 45 minutes until cooked through and golden brown.
- COOL and pipe over the crosses using melted dark chocolate.